CCI Health and Wellness Services is a group practice, empowering patients to partner with staff for an unparalleled healthcare experience. Through integrated teams in a learning environment, we deliver high quality, affordable, care to every patient during all stages of life.
The BFPC will provide information, support and guidance to WIC prenatal and postpartum participants to assist in the breastfeeding experience. The BFPC will assist with the delivery of WIC services at the CCI site to assure that the provision of high quality, cost efficient, culturally sensitive services comply with all Federal, State and local agency policies and procedures.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Counsels WIC participants about benefits of breastfeeding and proper positioning either by phone or in person.
- Supports WIC participants who are breastfeeding or are thinking about breastfeeding by answering any questions they may have to help them to be successful in breastfeeding.
- Follows-up with pregnant women by month of expected delivery, before and after birth.
- Makes the clinics breastfeeding friendly by having bulletin boards with breastfeeding pictures and having breastfeeding materials available for the participants.
- Assists with planning and conducting of breastfeeding classes and showers in the clinic by sending invitations and contacting participants, discusses benefits and proper positioning in breastfeeding when doing the class.
- Provides breastfeeding classes to other programs when needed.
- Acts as an advocate for breastfeeding, as observed by Manager.
- Offers a breast pump to breastfeeding participants who are returning to work or school and discusses collection and storage.
- Appropriately documents breast pumps and other breastfeeding aids upon issuance.
- Contacts the Breastfeeding Coordinator about a participant eligible for an electric breast pump.
- Referral to other breastfeeding resource programs such as La Leche League, Lactation Consultants if needed.
- Referral to nutritionists with regards to nutrition in breastfeeding.
- Referral to Breastfeeding Coordinator with regards to high risk conditions affecting breastfeeding such as medications and contraindications in breastfeeding.
- Recognition of symptoms of mastitis/other medical problems that require physician attention.
- Keeps a journal/log of contacts with the participants on a daily basis and documents appropriately in the computer system.
- May be asked to assist participants in the hospitals.
- Available for travel for training or to fill in for other staff during work hours.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a High School Diploma or GED.
- MUST have at least one year of relevant work experience, preferably in a medical setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience in order to perform office routines and clerical support functions.
- Some customer service required.
- MUST have breastfed at least 6 months.
- MUST have some previous experience with WIC as a staff or participant.
- Some computer skills required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- MUST be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to greet patients and visitors in person or over the phone, and to direct them accordingly.
- Ability to maintain a high standard of customer service and observance of corporation protocol in a hectic and sometimes hostile situation.
- Ability to read and write in order to update patient information/forms, accurately communicate phone messages, and respond to visitors and callers as needed.